York SPCA Strays & Surrenders

a new leash on life

york spca strays

Strays & Surrenders


Find Something?

If you find a stray animal, please contact the shelter to file a report (phone 764-6109). We may have a coinciding report from an owner who is missing the pet and we can help you get the animal back to its owner. Often, if you can hold the stray animal for a few hours, we will receive the lost report and we can reunite pet and owner quickly.

Lose Something?

Conversely, if you lose your pet, please file a report with the York County SPCA. In York County, a found pet will eventually find its way to our shelter. However, sometimes it may take up to 24 hours for the pet to be picked up and then transported to our shelter. We will look for a microchip when we receive a cat or dog.

Phone Calls

We apologize in advance if you call the shelter and cannot reach a customer service representative. Often the phone lines are just busy. Please leave a message. Every message gets a return phone call before we leave the shelter for the day.

This is a very sad, lost dog.
Pick Up, Please

If you would like the stray animal picked up, please contact 911. They will direct you to the local Animal Control Officer or State Dog Warden who will transport the animal to the shelter. Local municipalities contract with ACOs (Animal Control Officers) or State Dog Wardens to transport stray animals.

Other Options

Although we do not encourage this practice, you also have the option to transport the animal to the shelter. Please call us first so we may anticipate the arrival of the animal. If you find a dog who is wearing a York County Dog license, you may contact the York County Treasurer (phone 771-9603) who can give you the corresponding dog owner information. This may allow you to return the dog to the owner on your own.

Medical Needs

When finding a stray animal which appears to be injured, it is very important to seek help immediately. Call 911 who will arrange for the fastest way to transport the animal to a health facility. We do not have a veterinarian on duty at all hours so bringing an injured animal to our shelter may not be the fastest way to obtain medical treatment. The York County SPCA will respond and transport these animals for treatment. For your own safety, we do not encourage you to approach or attempt to move an injured animal as they may try to bit out of fear or pain. However, if you must remove an injured animal for its’ immediate safety, approach slowly and use a blanket and/or gloves to relocate.

boy reunited with dog


Owner Surrenders

If you must surrender your pet, please contact the York County SPCA to set up an appointment. The fee to surrender a cat is $35 and the fee to surrender a dog is $50. If you are having financial difficulties and therefore cannot afford the surrender fee, please ask to speak with a manager to discuss the situation. The goal of the York County SPCA is to find a home for every adoptable animal therefore we typically do not accept surrendered pets with serious behavioral/temperament problems or untreatable medical conditions.

Alternatives to Shelter Surrender

If you must place your pet with a new home, make sure that you are allowing your pet to go with a responsible person and we suggest that you follow up with that person after the exchange. If you are moving, the York County SPCA has a list of housing alternatives that will allow pets. You owe it to your pet to seek out a living situation where they can come along. If you have a family member who has developed allergies to your pet, you may be able to medically manage the situation. If you are having a temporary financial difficulty, the York County SPCA's Chows for Pals Program can help by providing free food for your pet until you get back on your feet.

Again, if you find yourself in a true emergency, please contact the York County SPCA. We will help both you and your pet to the best of our ability.